Monday, March 20, 2017

ILP #2 Participation: MOOC "Introduction to Family Engagement in Education"

          I learned a lot from participating in a MOOC. This MOOC was called, "Introduction to Family Engagement in Education". It was definitely very different being in an online class setting versus a regular class setting. The syllabus for the class, as well as all the lesson plans and assignments were all there for me, but there was no teacher to physically walk me through the steps of the course and to help teach the curriculum.
           It makes you feel like you are all alone with the course material, and at first I felt lost. But once i navigated the syllabus and course calendar as well as the lesson plans and assignments, it slowly became manageable and I slowly became comfortable with the idea of an online class. Once I viewed the lesson plans, read the readings, answered the discussion questions, etc.
          I actually learned a lot. It seems scary learning in a class without a teacher, but it actually was comforting to know that it is possible to take part in an online class and succeed. When it comes to the material itself, I thought it was very interesting. I was able to learn about how parents and teachers need to be equally engaged in their child's/ students' education.
          This balance gives students the greatest chance to be the best student they can be, inside and outside of the classroom. Often times parents believe that they are not important in this process, and the teachers need to engage with the parents to explain that they are a very integral part of their child's learning process.
          This class also talked about the different types of engagement between teachers, students, and parents based on age/ grade levels. This course also talks about how important engagement is, and how teachers, parents, and students can increase how much they engage with one another.
          I liked the fact that after each video or reading during a specific lesson, there were questions that were asked to make sure we understood what we learned. I also liked the balance between readings and videos, because every good class always has an even balance. I also liked how we were surveyed before and after the class, to see why we joined the class, what we learned from it, how it was ran, etc. and if we would take it again, almost like a review after the class.
          These online courses are very organized and they allow for a large amount of people to take a course at the same time. IT was interesting to me ti see that certain classes were self paced, meaning all the material was there from the start and accessible, while other classes were regulated by the professor themselves, putting up specific lectures, assignments, etc. at a time based off of the specific lesson being taught at the time, to regulate the learning of the students. The course I participated in was self paced.
          Below are some examples of review questions I was asked after a video lecture or a reading, examples of readings that were assigned in the class, some of the shorter videos that were used in the lesson plan, as well as the survey that had to be taken before I began the course, and some of the pages of notes I took during the lessons I attended.


















7 comments:

  1. I'm glad you chose a MOOC. How long did it take you to complete the course? There are also MOOCs that follow a schedule, as opposed to the self-paced MOOC you chose. This allows instructors to hold webinars and for participants to communicate through discussion forums and the like. MOOCS have a notoriously high drop-out rate: 80-90% never complete the course. They also often have high registrations, hundreds of people start the course. PS - This is a great topic. I personally (and professionally) believe that parents and home culture are the difference in success between two students in the same class. Give parents many opportunities to participate in their child's education and be very specific. Even simple things: read the monthly newsletter and discuss at dinner. Particularly important after the honeymoon of the school year's start and of the elementary years (K parents are hyper involved - middle/high school... not so much).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a couple of days to complete the course. It was very interesting to try out MOOC for the first time. I did not know that the dropout rate was so high, but because these courses are so tedious, I can definitely imagine people dropping out of these courses. Also, the topic was really intriguing to me, and I agree with you and believe that parental involvement in a child's education is one of the most important keys to success for children in the classroom.I wish more parents students in middle and high school would stay as involved in their children's education the same way parents of students in elementary school and Kindergarten do.

      Delete
  2. I was very interested in trying out MOOCs for my ILP, however I didn't have the time. How long did the course take you, and do you think the amount of time spent to the information that you got out of the course was worth it? IF I were to give any feedback it would be to ask if it would be possible for you to orient your notes a little better. I understand you were probably rushing a little, and I am not complaining about the hand writing (I have awful handwriting so I have no problem reading others') just a better structure would help in reading it maybe.

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2017/03/23/the-future-of-massively-open-online-courses-moocs/#cbad7ce6b830 This article makes a cliam that MOOCs are the future of education? WHat is your opinion on this as someone who has completed one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The MOOC was definitely time consuming, it took a couple of days to complete. With that being said, I think the amount of time it took to complete was totally worth it. There are so many interesting things I was able to learn and take away from my experience with MOOC, and if you have the time to ever try one out I definitely recommend that you try it out. I understand the point the article you sent me makes about MOOCs becoming the future, however I have always believed in a personal teacher student connection, and I don't think that can be replicated over an online course. I feel it is important that students show up to a classroom ,ahem a teacher, and build that connection with them. Thank you for your advice on how to make my notes more structured, the sessions were fast and hard to organize them in the exact way that I wanted to!

      Delete
  3. Did this take you a while to complete? I also do not like the feel of online classes. I feel like I am given a textbook and told to teach myself but I see the benefits if I am not able to be in class. I liked that you took the time to complete an entire MOOC and the dropout rate is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the MOOC took a couple of days to complete. The online class aspect of it is something that I'm not the biggest fan of either, it was something new I wanted to try out and see if I would like it. There are many benefits for the people that prefer to take online classes. However, I found it really interesting as well that the dropout rate is as high as it is. It makes sense though, the course is very tedious and without having the regular teacher - student connection, it is definitely hard to keep yourself motivated and organized to complete the course.

      Delete
    2. I'd like to comment on you all who question distance learning. I completed my second Masters Degree entirely via the internet, far ahead of when most folk did such things (2000-...). It's not as bad as you imagine. A good instructor will build community and thereby make the discussion forum something real. In fact, I'm taking an online class right now "Mobile Learning" even though the other courses I take are on campus. I will say, learning online is usually way more effort than going to class.

      Delete