Tuesday, January 17, 2017

#2 Protecting My Future Students


                    As a student, I've used Microsoft Word for many things. I type all of my papers on Word, I make quizzes and tests on Word whenever I need to do in class activities. I also make other class activities, such as surveys, on word as well. In addition, I upload all of my pictures to Word whenever I want to make a collage or print out a bunch of pictures on one page (although I'm sure there is a better way to do that), etc. I use Microsoft Word almost every day as a college student as well, because I am always completing assignments with it. At the same time, I've seen my teachers use Word for many things as well. My teachers use word for creating rubrics, creating guidelines/rules/procedures for the classroom, for creating exams and quizzes, homework schedules, course calendars, etc. I've even seen teachers take attendance with it by having each student type their name on a document for the day. Microsoft Word is a great asset for both students and teachers.

                 Copyright and Fair Use are very important things in the educational world. Copyright is a form of protection for intellectual property. A person with a copyright has exclusive right to use and distribute it. People may have to pay that person to use their work. Textbooks, videos, and softwares are copyrighted, as well as other resources from the internet. Copyright governs what teachers and students can and can't use in the classroom. For example, owning a software license allows you to use other people's work, but pirating is illegal. Fair use is a set of guidelines allow users to copy material for non profit reasons based on how it is used, how much it is used, and what impact it has win its value. Students of all ages should be made aware of copyrighting laws, based on age of course. Teachers need to explain why you can't photocopy a book  or duplicate a video. When it comes to my experiences with copyright and fair use, as bad as it sounds, there are some situations where i din't even think it was applicable. There are photos and videos that my friends show my on Facebook that I then post or share, not ever thinking that it was copyright. There are videos that I would include in my presentations in high school, but my teacher would always as ask see it and make sure we weren't copyrighting before we used them. Besides that I personally have never encountered any copyrighting issues or fair use issues in the classroom. To avoid copyright and fair use violations as a teacher, there are some things I would do. First, I would only use information out of a textbook or other sources that is necessary to meet an educational goal. Also, I would always cite my sources, being a role model to my students teaching them the same tactics to avoid these crucial issues.
           
              Implementation issues are divided into several categories: legal, social, and ethical. All of these issues can hinder the learning process as well as make the teaching environment less safe fore students, making it harder for them to learn and be successful in the classroom. One of these issues that have become increasingly serious is cyberbullying. In my classroom I can prevent cyberbullying by having my students sign Internet safe pledges. These are contracts that when students sign, they promise not to cyberbully. As a teacher, I would also teach my students about what cyberbullying is and how to prevent it, as well as how to seek help if you need help stopping it or are a victim of it. I would also provide parents with resources if needed to help their child prevent cyberbullying. Another implementation issue is academic dishonesty. As a teacher, there are many ways to go about preventing this in the classroom. First, to make sure that students do not plagiarize, I would use an anti-plagiarism software, that catches students when hey plagiarize after they submit their work to the software. Also during tests, I would make sure my students put their phones on my desk, and I would constantly roam the halls making sure nobody is trying to look at other students' papers. I would also make my students sign academic honor policies, holding them accountable for cheating and/or plagiarizing. One more implementation issue that has been controversial is student privacy. There are many ways as a teacher that you can protect your student's records. For example, in order to pull up pictures of students, you need written permission from the student's parents/guardians. Also, as a teacher, you need to avoid putting your students location and/or information on the Internet. Lastly, as a teacher you can explain to your students The Children's Internet Protection Act and the Protecting Children in the 21st Century Act. These acts protects students while on the Internet, helping them by blocking websites that can danger their privacy. There are many other implementation issues, but these three are the ones I find to be the more serious issues that need to be resolved.
           

1 comment:

  1. I think your comment about the requiring permission to use photos of students was a really good point and something that I had not thought of to include regarding student privacy

    ReplyDelete